- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock / non-vegetarian version)
- 4 cups chopped ripe tomatoes or canned Italian tomatoes, drained
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1 cup milk, half and half, or heavy cream
- Sugar, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over moderate heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and sauté until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes, potato, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Puree in a food processor or blender in small batches until smooth, straining through a fine sieve if desired. Stir in the milk or cream and season with sugar, salt, and pepper. Serve garnished with chopped chives.
Serves 6 to 8.
Disclaimer: No one involved in this blog or its contents may be held responsible for any adverse reactions arising from following any of the instructions/recipes on this list. It is the reader’s personal responsibility to exercise all precautions and use his or her own discretion if following any instructions or advice from this blog.
Fair Use Notice: This page may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This website distributes this material without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in 17 U.S.C § 107.